Pages

Saturday, November 9, 2019

2: A New Home




     A glint catches my eye, and I go completely still. SOMETHING is there. Squirrel? Rabbit? No. It's too bright, even in the darkness. Am I hallucinating? Is it some kind of shiny rock?
     It moved. That's no rock. I'd swear it's breathing.
     Rabbit? Fuck, I need a spear. I slowly reach for the pointed stick I'd recently jabbed into the dying embers. But would a rabbit of that color be able to survive? Even if it happened to be an abandoned pet, which I doubt since those would get eaten, a bird of prey would surely snatch it up.

     Some kind of large rodent? Perhaps this island isn't as safe as I first surmised. Well, I've taken on four wolves at once. Bring it, rodent of unusual size. My heart rate increases, and my eyes fix on that slowly-moving patch of light, shimmering thing. Muscles tense before I spring off my terrible bed.
     The lightly shining thing suddenly rises up, much higher than the possible-badger I was expecting. It's human! I skid to a halt, my mouth drops open, and my eyes watch the quickly-retreating sample of humanity.

     "Wait!" Fuck! What the fuck?! There ARE people here, at least one. "Wait!" Shit. Oh really great first impression there, Rohan. Like an idiot, I decide to chase after it. "I'm not going to hurt you!"
     I let out an 'oof' sound when I trip over an exposed root. I very narrowly avoid stabbing myself with my pointed stick. Dammit! I don't know these bit of woods like it does, and the moon is hidden behind all this fog.
     The fall jarred my shoulder, and I wince from the pain. I've certainly had worse, and I make myself stand anyway, worried I might be attacked. After all, I have no idea how many OTHERS there may be.

     Completely still and silent, my eyes and ears strain to catch the tiniest movement. I can't give chase, but I can defend myself. I dip into a slight crouch.
     Breathing. Very fast breathing. Somewhere ahead of me. It has stopped and is hiding once more. Having identified its likely position, I use my senses to continue scanning the unknown area around me.
     It's not a fighter; I'd be in knee-deep shite if it were. A pointed stick: Reck would piss himself from laughing so hard at me if he knew.
     Is it scared of me? Why didn't it keep running? Curiosity?

     I allow longer pulls of air into my lungs, and my muscles relax the tiniest bit. "Hello?" Fuck. How do I even know if it'll understand me?
     In addition to everything else, my stomach plummets with the knowledge that this island isn't uninhabited. And here I thought I'd found a place. Billions died, and I still can't find my own place.
     Glint.
     I found it. It's hiding behind another bit of brush.

     Forcing myself to smile, I try talking again. "I can see you," I mostly lie. "Why don't you come out and introduce yourself?" Again, I'm banking on the fact that it can understand me.
     "Who are you?"
     YES! The accent is different--but the language is the same.
     "My name's Rohan." Pause. "And you are?" Introductions: how very strange, like something from a former life.
     I still don't rule out that there could be others nearby, and I remain alert.
     "Why are you here?"
     The tone of the voice... feminine? My own curiosity gnaws away at me like maggots on a rotting carcass. I clear my throat. "I left my tribe, and I'm looking for a new home." May as well be honest.
     "This is MY home."

     "I, uh, apologize. I mean no harm. I don't require much. Perhaps we can come to an agreement of sorts?" Common sense would tell me just to move on and find another place, but I like it here. And... maybe the idea of going it alone isn't the greatest. "I have useful skills. I can hunt. I can sew. I can build..." I leave my statement hanging in the air like a question. It's like the strangest fecking job interview.
    After a beat, SHE steps into a stream of light caused by the moon coming out of hiding, and I momentarily lose my ability to breathe. If there really are goddesses wandering around, I'm looking at one.

    "My name is Yadira."
    Do I fall on my knees like the hapless mortal in front of a goddess? Perhaps it's a trick of the light, but she is flawless. She has to be more than human.
    Mesmerized by her face, I'm surprised by the fear I see displayed. What would a goddess have to fear?
    "Please put down your pointy stick."
    I immediately let it fall to the ground, not the least bit worried it could start a fire. It was hot earlier--but only just so. It's cold now.
    As for losing my "weapon," does she realize my very hands can be deadly?
    Perhaps I should be worried about what the goddess Yadira could do to me, but I take a step towards her anyway.

******************************************


     "Stop!" I hold up my hand and take a step back. He stops.
     I can't stop shaking! Oh, I am so stupid! What was I thinking going out alone like this? I want to run home to Asa and Sama, but what if he follows me and hurts them? Oh, what do I do?
     I put my hand down so he can't see me shaking. Perhaps he can anyway.
     "I'm not going to hurt you."
     "Then why did you chase me with a pointed stick?"
     "To defend myself!"
     "Defend yourself against someone who's running away?" And I hate that I couldn't run straight home. I didn't want to risk leading him right to the place. Acting on what I thought was a forgotten instinct just now, I ran in a line parallel to the house. I couldn't run much farther without risking a fall off the cliff. I thought I'd be able to lose him; then I thought I could hide. Now, I just have to get him to leave me alone on his own.
     "Well, I hoped I'd not need it," he replies, talking about the pointy stick. Did he take another step?
     "Stay where you are!" I back up again.

      The corner of his mouth goes up. "And what if I don't? Will you call down lightning to strike me dead?"
      Huh? Can people do that? "No. But you'd better stay back." Stupid, Yadira! What will you do if he doesn't?
      "Oh. Perhaps it's nature then. You'll strangle me with vines?"
      "Huh? No. But I'm... I'm warning you!" Maybe I should've threatened the vine thing. He might believe me. "I'll... I'll..." I can't think of anything! This hairy man could be a murderer! It would be better if he were afraid of me. "I'll... tell Jers you killed him!" It's a huge stab in the dark, and it really doesn't make sense. It was just the best I could think of right now.
     But it works. Thanks to the moonlight crashing through the treetops, I can clearly see his face fall and eyes widen. "You! How do you...?!" He swallows hard. "Okay. Of course. I'll not come any closer."
    I still can't believe that worked! I take another step back, making sure I'm out of arms' reach. "And you'll turn around and go back to where you came from."
    The quirky smile returns, doing something weird to my stomach. "I hope you mean back to my little campsite."
    Stop smiling at me! I clench my jaw for two seconds before I decide to speak, "Fine. We'll visit you at dawn to discuss your, uh, whether or not you can stay."
    "We?" His eyebrows raise.
    I scowl. "Yes, of course."
    His features straighten up to a more normal expression. Then he does a slight bow, making my eyebrows come together. "As you wish."

-----------------------------------------------------
A/N: Sometimes I can't help myself. So... many... films...

No comments:

Post a Comment