Pages

Wednesday, August 26, 2020

16: Love Language




Vik

      I can't win. I did nothing wrong. Well, mostly. I suppose I might've done SOMETHING wrong. I'm lost as to what, though, and with the lack of anyone else to talk to about it, I turn to Zuri for advice.

      She, of course, is thrilled I came to her for relationship advice, exclaiming how happy she is in her high-pitched, schoolgirl way. I fight back my eye-roll.
      "You have to learn to 'speak her language,'" she advises, not helping.

      "What are you talking about? Of course I speak her language."
      I used to think it was neat how the dumbest things could be funny to her. It was lust, nothing more. Now, her laugh is annoying.
      "I'm not talking about English." She giggles again. "No no no no no. I mean her," she thinks, "her love language."
      "I have absolutely no clue what you're talking about." If I weren't so irritated, I might be able to figure it out.

      "They are the little things that are how a person shows love and how they receive love the best. It could be words. Or touching. Or gifts. Or maybe some combination or something like those. Once you figure that out, it makes someone much easier to win."
      I scowl for two reasons. One: this explains to me more how Zuri thinks with that whole 'winning' thing. Two: what she said makes sense.
      She smiles and pats my arm. "You'll figure it out."
      I nod thoughtfully as she giggles at me and saunters off. Well, Sama wouldn't let me kiss her, but does that rule out touching? I tried to tell her WITH WORDS how beautiful she is, and she didn't believe a word of it. I sigh. I guess gifts is worth a try. 
      After rummaging around the stuff from the mainland and changing my clothes, I find something I was going to give her anyway. I may as well try to make a production of it. I smirk. I even have the perfect box

     I catch her as she leaves her house. "Here," I say awkwardly. "I, er, got you something."
     At least she smiles. "Vik, what is this?"
     "Just open it."
     She does, and she smiles in a very surprised way when she sees the knit top and pants. Like I said, I was going to give it to her anyway. The days are getting shorter and colder at an almost-alarming rate. In fact, today is a bit too cold for her to be wearing what she's wearing. Not that I mind.
      After some urging on my part, she dashes inside to go try them on.

     She looks beautiful. I'd not known she'd had warmer shoes, and I'm glad when I see them.
     A smile blesses her face. "I feel so... so... normal!" She giggles. "I look like I'm ready to go off to college."
     Honestly, I'd rather see her with much less clothing, but at least the top isn't so bulky that it would hide her curves. I'm glad it doesn't.

       "You look beautiful," I tell her honestly and dare her to contradict me.
       Her expression certainly does, but instead of outright arguing with me, she says, "The sleeves are a little short."
       "No they're not. I bet they're supposed to be like that."
       "They ARE too short. Look." She holds up her wrist then gasps when I grab it and kiss the inside of it.
       "I like it short then. I'm telling you, you look beautiful."

     "Vik, stop it." She doesn't look angry. More sad than anything. That almost makes ME angry.
     "No. I'm not going to stop saying it. Not at least until you believe me." I shrug. "And I probably won't stop saying it then either."
     "It's not very nice."
      What the fucking hell? "How is it not nice?"
      "Because you're lying."
      I have to take a deep breath to control the immediate anger. "I'm. Not. Lying."
      "Stop feeling like you have to tell me that. I'm not one of those women who has to hear it."

      "Correct me if I'm wrong, but you like me, right?" I'm determined to kiss her this time. She was a little too good at getting away from me the last times I tried. I'm going to have to surprise her.
      After biting her lip for half a second, she answers, "Yes."
      "Then you're just going to have to get over it, Sama. I say you are. Don't insult my intelligence." I pounce before she can try and duck away again.

      I have to hold the back of her head while she makes a startled noise, realizing her escape attempt didn't work. Then she hits my back with the heel of her hand. But her lips are kissing me. With anyone else, I wouldn't dare try this, but I think I've figured out I have to fight Sama for Sama.
      Maybe her love language is fighting. That thought cracks me up, and I start laughing into her mouth. Even though milliseconds ago she'd started to soften, she stiffens up again and makes an angry noise.
     She quickly pulls back even though I still hold onto her. "You ass! You're laughing at me?"
     "Only because you're so fucking wonderful." I reclaim her mouth, and she hits my back again. But she doesn't jerk back even though she's proven she can.
      She wants me to fight for her; good thing I've figured out I'm the sort of man who loves that.
      It's wonderful. She kisses me back even though I can tell she's still nervous. Well, that part's not wonderful. The fact that I found her is wonderful.
      IS it nerves? Why? It's like she's never been kissed before. I can't stand not knowing, so I let up on her.

      She must be able to read my expression. "Vik, you can't just... KISS me like that."
      "Why not?" I watch her face get rosier. "It's not like it was your first kiss."
      She attempts to step away, looking down in an embarrassed way. What? Shit! 
      With a slow nod, she replies, "And my second."
      "But... How? I mean... You have Zane!" Is she trying to tell me Rohan didn't kiss her?
      She pulls away, taking advantage of my shock. "I don't want to talk about it." She backs up. "I was stupid." Then she turns and dashes into her house, leaving me standing here completely gobsmacked.

Orion

      I'm out clearing an area that would make a good off-site settlement (at least that's how Sama puts it) when I see a flash of white in my peripheral vision. Turning my head, I see it's Yadira. She doesn't know I'm here. I'm guessing she's collecting herbs; plenty of useful ones grow at the cliff's edge.

     She's wearing a dress Rohan made for her from a sail. He designed it to have a very low V in the front, on purpose of course, and I must admit, I'm grateful for my own sake.
     I call out her name, not wanting to be accused of sneaking up on her.
     Please, don't be an idiot, I beg myself.

      To answer her look, I say, "I was working in this site just now. I saw ye an' decided it would be rude not to say anything."
      I don't think I'll be able to avoid being an idiot completely. The fact that I know hers and Rohan's relationship is strained doesn't help me. Well, maybe it does, but I'm afraid I'll bungle this whole thing up. I can't just NOT speak to her, though.

      She's on her guard. "Sometimes it's best if things remain unsaid."
      I let out a nervous laugh. "Well, I still wanted to come an' talk to ya."
      "You've been doing nothing but try to wreck my relationship with Rohan. I don't have to listen to what you say."
      "Not even if I've come t'apologize?"
      She pauses.

     I take this chance. "Believe me, Yadira. I had no intention of hurtin' yer feelin's. I hated that. Please forgive me." I fight hard to keep my eyes on her face.

      She's quiet for a moment before she asks, "And?"
      I blink. "And what?"
      "And are you sorry for saying my marriage isn't real."
      Here we are. Time to be a complete arse. "I'm not... sorry for that."
      "How can you say that? Of course we're married!"

       "There was no one officiating. Therefore, it's not official." I glance down; I can't help myself.
       "Well, what else were we supposed to do? We didn't exactly have that option."
       I hold up my hands. "Oh sure, I understand what yer sayin'. And I think, seriously, that it's sweet how ye two said vows to one another, but in the real world, that doesna hold water."
       She folds her arms and looks away. That act pushes her breasts together.
       I step a tiny bit closer and say quietly, "Ye know I'm right. It's how it's always been. Sure, the world is different now, but--"
       "I don't remember anything of the world before." She sees I've gotten closer and takes a step back.

      "You don't?" I'm surprised. "Nothing?" Reality starts slamming into me with the force of two freight trains colliding. She remembers nothing because she was too young. That puts her at... fuck! I knew she was young, but I'd thought maybe twenty, not that she looked it, but... whoa.
      While my thoughts swirl in my mind, she's explaining how she was only maybe two at the end of the plague when Asa found her. The plague was about a decade and a half ago. That puts Rohan about ten years older than her, and me... I'm far too close to twice her age.

      She keeps talking while my conscience tries to destroy me. "I know the world used to have lots and lots of people in it, but where were we going to find anyone to do that? We certainly couldn't sail off to the Skeeves." No, I never want Reck to so much as glance at her. "So why can't you just let it go?"

     "Because I adore you, Yadira!" I pronounce as clearly as possible. "Isn'n it plainly obvious?" Our ages be damned. I hate how she backed away some more, putting her hand on my arm, probably seeing my intent to wrap it around her.
     "I didn't think you'd actually say it," she replies quickly and quietly.
     "What would've happened had ye met ME first?" If I'd known such an angelic creature existed and all I had to do was cross the ocean to find her, I would've swam across if there were no other way. I know it may sound childish, but it's not FAIR that Rohan got to her first, that Rohan was the 'new and interesting person.'
     "I... I don't know."
     That's all I needed to hear. If she'd even hinted that there still would've been nothing between us, I'd go off somewhere with a broken heart, but that's not what she implied. I am now desperate to wrap my arms around her.
     She bolts. For half a moment, I consider letting her go, but I can't leave this scene like that. I charge after her and catch up with her in the abandoned site, grabbing her and spinning her around to face me. In her fear, she tries to lash out at me.
      "I'm not gonna hurt ya."

      "Then why are you trapping me?" Her expression rips me in two.
      "I dinna want this conversation to end like that." I take a few breaths. "I canna bear you hatin' me."
      "I don't hate you, but you're not making it easy for me."
      Leave her be, Orion. No. I can't. If I do, I'll always wonder 'what if' until it drives me mad. I whisper, "I'm sorry to do this to ya."
      I look into her eyes, and I see the anguish of a young woman who doesn't understand herself. She sees the honest sympathy in mine, and she collapses into her hands.

       I hold her shoulders while she cries, but what I really want to do is coil my whole self around her to protect her from... men just like me. How's that for irony? I don't want to do this to her, but I more don't want to leave this avenue unexplored.
      "You know," she sniffs, "when you first got here, I thought you were the funniest-looking, strangest, most unattractive man I'd ever seen."
      I softly chuckle in spite of everything. I DID look quite a sight.
      She continues, "But then you were REALLY GOOD at telling a story, even if you were being an ass to Rohan when you told them."
      Jealousy. Plain and simple. I rub her arms in a comforting way. Fuck, her skin is so soft, and I'd not realized my face was resting on her hair until I move. It's all I can do not to moan.
     "And then you were an ass to ME, telling me my marriage wasn't real. Real or not, I love him."
     "I love you," I whisper.
     She moves her hands so she can hit my shoulder, but it feels to me like about as much force as a puppy might use. "Why did you have to ask me that?"

      I finally touch her face. She's so perfect that there are moments when I wonder if she's even real. "Ask you what?"
      "The 'what if I met you first' thing."
      My other hand starts running through her fantastic hair. "Because it's something I often wonder."
      "Well I hadn't... until you asked that. Now you're making me question everything. And that's not very nice of you."
       I need her lips on mine, and I wrap my arm around her waist in preparation. "Sorry for being an arse."
       She realizes my current goal, and her eyes widen. "I can't cheat on Rohan."

      I'm millimeters from her lips. "It's only cheating if you kiss me back." If someone had told me when I woke up this morning that I would finally be kissing the lovely Yadira, I would've laughed in his or her face. But the fact is, I am. I have to hand it to her, she tries not to kiss me back. I don't mind. I can do plenty of kissing for the both of us.

       I pull up slightly, opening my eyes just enough. Her quick breath comes out in swift, little breezes of air, her lips slightly parted. She thinks I'm done. Not yet.
      My jaw pressed against her, I open hers and kiss her harder, taking temporary ownership of this beautiful woman's mouth. She lets out a precious sound of futility. She may call me funny-looking, but now she also knows I can kiss like a raging thunderstorm. I have no idea whether or not she kisses me back; I won't give her a chance.
      Her moan is begging me in the most adorably pitiful way for me to stop. She fought so hard not to kiss me back, and she mostly succeeded.
      I've pushed too far already, so I stop, keeping my arms around her for now.

       Leave him. We'll move here. It's a decent structure. I'll give you the child Rohan hasn't. I'm twice the man he is.
      "Whatever it is you're thinking, I can't." She shakes her head no. "I love him."
       So I haven't won... yet.

Yadira

      This is too much. Orion is too intense. I think I may have actually kissed him back for moment, and I feel terrible that I let any of it happen in the first place. My head is still spinning that it happened at all. It was that damn 'what if' question.
      "Okay," he whispers. I expect him to let go, but he doesn't.
      He does allow ME to step back, though, and I do. So why do I feel guilty for stepping away from him? It's almost the same level of guilt that I kissed him. Or allowed him to kiss me. I'm so confused!
      I have to put distance between us. Now.

      I feel like the lowest, rotting piece of scum on the planet. How could I let that happen!? And it's making me question how I feel about Rohan. That shouldn't happen!
      I just need a little clarity. I stop at the water's edge and stare out over the sea.


------------------------------------------------
A/N: BTW, it's not aliens. I just borrowed their SpFX.

No comments:

Post a Comment